Welcome to the IW Citizens Community Forums. These forums solution is not hosted, funded, or managed by InWorldz staff, but by InWorldz community members. We are all responsible to keep this place tidy and welcoming for all. Have fun!

What do you see missing here?

Judy DresslerJudy Dressler Posts: 217
edited January 28 in Forums Help & Support
Feel free to comment here on what you see or feel missing in these forums. I will look at it and accomodate where I can to provide you the services. I just added a events category.

So shoot questions or remarks here :)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde.
Tagged:

Comments

• Could we have a category for roleplay, perhaps with specific genres people might be interested in, such as medieval/fantasy? Or is there an existing category you where you think that would belong? Thanks!
  • Potentially there is room for a new category specifically for role play but it might make more sense to add sub-categories in Group Discussions or Classified Ads - Some residents are likely to want to keep their comments, interactions or contributions "real" while others consider IW a game and/or role play [various combinations of those ways of thinking also exist].

Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily set up a list of specific genre to choose from; not only could that information really just be included in the title or body of the announcer's/organizer's post but there are dozens of possibilities for any given role play genre to "bleed" over into two or three sub-categories so having a "one stop shop" [so to speak] of "all things game [or role play] related" would keep it simple and would also help keep multiple-listing "spam" to a minimum.

Rating concerns can also play into how this is handled too. If the "group" involved wanted to extend role play to more than "in world interaction" [with the potential of so many time zones involved this is not outside the realm of possibility] you'd likely want the admins/advertisers of the role-play/game to provide a link to their own blog/website/forum. This would save the need for these forums to be monitored for anything that might be "inappropriate" for the broader community and/or anyone that might stumble onto the forums during an unrelated web search/surf/browse. It would also quell liability concerns that could arise from the administrators of the forums becoming responsible for role play content moderation as well.
    Wench is an acronym: W-oman - E-ntitled to - N-othing but - C-omplete - H-appiness - Don't say it like it's a bad thing!
  • Judy DresslerJudy Dressler Posts: 217
    edited January 5
    I read you and I'm pleased to see such questions. It means you want this to live.

So I went back to see what was in "groups" on old IW forums. Only to find 8 pages of posts on about anything group related (or even not), and not only RP. I would like to see this maybe more structured (pardon me I'm a geek, they like order =) ) and yes RP should be a topic on these forums in Group discussions. As Boaz is now member here, and was one of the architects of the RP hub, maybe she could give us some input on this? I can surely create a RP category under Groups here but I fear further subdivisions in various RP themes could become heavy burden for all. Would already be nice to have a RP distinct category under groups (did not exist as such on old forums) and let all the RP people post there at will and cross blades (err that was just an image in me brains, ignore it) =)

I also have this idea to create a category "Blogs" in Residents Corner so one can post a link to his blog page.

And maybe a "Science Corner" for links to interesting press articles or pages on the web?

Be aware also these forums have powerful admin tools. If needed I can move a discussions where it should be. So there is flexibility. I will check permissions but normally moderators have this power also. So we can keep it tidy and neat (IT Geek's eternal quest) :D
  • I also have this idea to create a category "Blogs" in Residents Corner so one can post a link to his blog page.

And maybe a "Science Corner" for links to interesting press articles or pages on the web?

Love the idea of a "learning" corner!

I always enjoy a bit of "schooling by entertainment" - via the likes of Josh Gates, Dr Kaboom [aka: David Epley], Neil deGrasse Tyson, et.al.
    Wench is an acronym: W-oman - E-ntitled to - N-othing but - C-omplete - H-appiness - Don't say it like it's a bad thing!
  • AstoriaLAstoriaL Posts: 86

... As Boaz is now member here, and was one of the architects of the RP hub, maybe she could give us some input on this?

I have the LM for the RP hub; if you like I'll send it over and you could peek at the categories, if you want to split it out that far. Thinking from announcements I see in-world, you would definitely want to have medi-fantasy and pirates.
  • Maybe by design - but - I do not see anywhere to view/query a "current/active members list" for the forums.

This could be handy [just for example] to search in order to PM someone who is not easily found by a quick look through current discussion threads [a method I've used in the past on forums with a small, close-knit community, but I suspect that method will become really cumbersome over time as membership numbers continue to climb]
    edited January 6
    Today when you create a "conversation" you can type first letters of a firstname to see a list appear to choose from drop down. That should help you if I had not seen it yet. Is one reason also I do insist on changing your names to full avie name with a underscore.
  • AstoriaL said:

... As Boaz is now member here, and was one of the architects of the RP hub, maybe she could give us some input on this?

I have the LM for the RP hub; if you like I'll send it over and you could peek at the categories, if you want to split it out that far. Thinking from announcements I see in-world, you would definitely want to have medi-fantasy and pirates.
    Good idea Ast. Will look at what you send me.
    Love your smileys. Did steal one to Claret as it illustrates well my beezy times atm. :bee:

• ... just a quick "perception" note ... there are, potentially, a lot of role play groups that are not represented at the hub [newly developed groups, going forward, or some groups that may have opted out of a presence at the hub for a variety of reasons]. These groups are very likely to want to use the rp advertising area on forums "in lieu of" hub representation.
  • ok Claret, Ast, Contessa. Will start something and we will see how it goes. :bee:
  • HairyThorHairyThor Posts: 8
    Something I've noticed here and also in the new IW forum/support site, is a lack of a quick navigation icon to bring us back to the top of a page, after reading comments; maybe having the navigation header remaining static while we read comments.
    edited January 9
    I can add that Hairy. Will do. A back to top arrow.
    And done. :bee: See rounded square at right with scroll to top white arrow. It fades out of view when not needed.
  • HairyThorHairyThor Posts: 8
    Thank you Judy. Much like the plugin I added for ProBoards :)
  • [x] likes the 'back to top' button
    Hi Judy! What about a catch-all Groups category?
  • In addition to other specific groups ? Why not. :D
  • Is there a place to promote a group?
    not a roleplay or weefolks group?
  • Yes Sophia. And welcome! Will follow suggestion of Astoria for a catch-all Groups category :-)
    Give me a few. Meanwhile maybe you can look at "Forum Terminology Basics & How to Post here!".
    Thanks Judy!
  • Done.
    It would be fun to have a "Like" button (or assorted indicator emoticons). I know some forums have this feature available. Would be nice, but not necessary.
  • Agrees fully. But only "like" plugin I found till now was one forcing to Facebook when used. Hmmmm maybe I should look at dev documentation and create one.
    I have seen the up/down voting misused a lot, unless you are somewhere huge like Slashdot where numbers might outweigh targeted attack ratings.

I like the one SLUniverse has where people can laugh or shake their head or whatever and it just lists below the posts how many people did that.
  • I find the "concept" of ratings a beneficial one [I read them when ordering stuff from the web from time to time if I'm shopping]; but, in terms of the big picture, I have to agree with Ast.

In my experience using "liking" [up-voting], in a quick-click, can be convenient; even add value. Sadly, "don't like-ing" [down-voting], misused, makes it just as easy for any medium to become a "quick and dirty" [and sophomoric], popularity contest, for the very same reason.

Citation: I was there during the "vampire swarm wars" -and- saw the aftermath [elsewhere] that led to many accounts of innocent members being "banned", which isn't exactly the same thing but it adheres to the concept of unfounded or malicious or petty use of -a system- to harm others [intentional or not].

Voting systems are really meant to be a bell-weather for the originator of the post and/or administrators [and secondarily, for other readers]; an indicator of how common an opinion or request is and votes should indicate that readers have given some thought to their "vote" before slapping a convenient "thumb-button". I rarely see that happen.

It should also be considered that the human id and ego are socially and societal-ly programed to perceive "negative response" as personal disapproval [character attack/assassination], to one degree or another [not everyone can turn this natural reaction off or even dial it back]. In RL I'm acquainted with a lot of people whose self-worth is inextricably tied to the opinions of others [I have to say I find this unfathomable but I try hard not to devalue their life-experiences by saying "suck it up, buttercup" or using the "big-girl panties" analogy]. Too, intentional abuse, in the most puerile and hurtful ways, isn't even rare enough to shrug off as "unlikely", and it contributes to that same perception of being "under fire", even for a surprising number of people that could normally be considered "thick skinned".

That said, the entire concept [just imo - I could easily be wrong] could be made "more respectful" [or, perhaps, "more constructive" is a better way of saying it], by using a judiciously worded system in the creation of buttons and indicators that are intended for "peer-to-peer input". Some alternative options could be [some of these ideas have already been fronted in this thread, or elsewhere]:

+ agree / disagree -rather than- like / don't like [the "words" and/or alternate images, but SANS the thumbs-up/thumbs-down images that can be reminiscent of a Cesarean Colosseum environment]
    + Use of alternative emoticons/emojis that have a less personal feel [minimizing the likelihood of giving a perception that the -writer- is being judged, rather than the -writing-].
    + Allowing only -contributors- to participate in voting [not just -lurkers- or, worse -just anyone that happens across the site-]

Making the forums as devoid of tools that have an obvious ability to cause the perception of "personal rejection"; using the most enlightened [mature / limited] methods of allowing the opinions of fellow contributors to be included, would [potentially] discourage misuse/abuse and [also potentially] save a lot of hurt feelings and/or flame-wars in the process [just sayin'].
  • would it be possible to get slightly better visibility of the "extended" information that shows up on the categories and recent discussions page ... or is this something I can "fix" using my browser settings ... ?

I'm finding that I have to squint & refocus to read it in it's original form [it's much more visible after the copy/paste I did to show an example of the info I'm having trouble with]

1 discussion 0 comments Most recent: What is the InWorldz Explorer Hud? by Judy_Dressler December 2016

would it be possible to get slightly better visibility of the "extended" information that shows up on the categories and recent discussions page ... or is this something I can "fix" using my browser settings ... ?

If it's a matter of text size, most browsers will let you resize the page contents by using Ctrl+ and Ctrl- until a comfortable size is reached. The smaller text sizes it defaults to are a bit difficult to read for me also but, I am old. :
  • Thanks Ast. That's a great tip. It would make things much simpler if that were the problem in my case. For me the text appears "ghosted" ['very light' grey-on-white/light blue].

I have nystagma [both eyes] -and- asymmetrical astigmatisms [the astigmatisms 'used' to be beneficial before "far-sighted" became "near-sighted"]. I will try to fiddle with gamma and contrast a bit more to see if I can't 'minimize' the difficulty or find a way to work with it.
  • Ronin_KnifeRonin_Knife Posts: 7
    edited February 12

Judy in the music forum you set up could we have a review section as I would like to review live music and dj's across our Inworldz grid to give people and idea of the styles and types of entertainers that are available, for us to see and listen to.

edited February 12
    Hello Ronin. I could create this yes. It does however raise questions:

1. Would it be limited to real LIVE music (live singers) or all venues and genres (I guess both as you said DJ's also) ?
    2. You are new to IW. How would people indicate you places to go see and attend for you to review (by inbox private message here or private IM inworld, or both) ?
    3. how would you make sure you are neutral in review and judgement to avoid reactions and so called "drama" ?
    Clubs and Venues are the most volatile locations I add and delete every month from Explorer Hud and there are 36 of them in "Entertain" category atm. You could begin there. And there is probably more with owners not even aware of Explorer Hud to grab some visitors.

So there is huge and intense competition between clubs to get attendees.
    BTW many of these live singers do perform in various venues. What will you review?
    The Live singer or the Venue? Or both?
    Some DJ's might be attached to one and same club. But not all.
    Same question.

I personally play drums in a club each Saturday and Sunday (my evening) where DJ's are absolutely brilliant and club atmosphere is great with members funny and friendly.
    I'm curious to know what will be your criteria and again the scope of your reviews.

Don't read me wrong. Am not saying it's a bad idea. It could bring many people to these forums to read something they can read elsewhere. But it will also raise the attention of club owners and they will come look these reviews do not favor their direct competitors or kill their venue totally.

Will you dare say a old lady live singer was singing totally out of tune?
    Yes I heard a few. :s

I'm willing to take the risk to open this review pandora box (something that was asked once for for shops in old IW forums and raise high controversy) but myself and moderators will surely keep and eye on comments you are likely to get. Some may become hot B)

Feedback welcome here from all forums readers and IW community.

• you might consider going by the old rule of 'nothing nice to say, say nothing'. I remember a lot of fashion bloggers on SL went by this rule - they would happily blog products they liked but say nothing about those they did not. I do remember some bloggers who would point out mistakes, etc. on a creator's work, but it always ended badly. Just a thought :)