Welcome to the IW Citizens Community Forums. These forums solution is not hosted, funded, or managed by InWorldz staff, but by InWorldz community members. We are all responsible to keep this place tidy and welcoming for all. Have fun!

I've got a very old wish...

...and it's quite simple : why can't a partially transparent prim be shiny? :confused: Creators can accomplish wonderful things, do I wish in vain?
"I can resist everything except temptation" Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Almost a week since I posted this and still no clue... :disappointed:
  • Shine and mist (transparency) are fundamentally opposite things, I think?
  • I have pondered this question, a few times, in the past.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to create with a transparency that has shine. This just personal observance on my part and this is, in no way, meant to be a definitive answer [I don't "know" enough about the mechanics of "alpha states" in the virtual environment to do more than hazard a guess].

Windows; certain articles of clothing that are shimmery, yet translucent; gloss on a "thinner than paper" item and a million other things I haven't even considered would be amazing... but currently the only way I'm aware of that we can emulate such a thing is to use "light and shadow" effects [often in a custom texture created in an external image editor] to "simulate" sheen. Close observation "always" revels this to be a false impression on objects... but a mere "glance" allows one to "believe".

I will say that sim water "seems" to have this "reflective" trait... I wonder how they do that and if that or a related technique could be applied, more directly, to objects.
    Thanked by 1Ed Hinterland
    Wench is an acronym: W-oman - E-ntitled to - N-othing but - C-omplete - H-appiness - Don't say it like it's a bad thing!
  • I was away. Will try sumfing with mesh and materials.... bear with me. Lots to do.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde.
  • Thanks, Claret!

You wrote, "I will say that sim water "seems" to have this "reflective" trait... I wonder how they do that and if that or a related technique could be applied, more directly, to objects." That's precisely why I tell myself it is possible...
  • Judy DresslerJudy Dressler Posts: 217
    edited September 25
    Sending you a window with a semi transparent glass pane that shines in sunset or with a light on. To do this I made a specular map of the texture I have on glass pane. Sending you object and all textures. See texture tab shininess values using texture (and not low, mid, or high). I'm working on a new helicopter and this one will use materials for the first time, and metal will be reflective also. So this window was inspired by that work. It's all mesh btw.

Here is where I generated maps from a normal texture (credits to Benski Trenkins) :
    http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde.
  • Here's what you can do easely, but keep in mind this ONLY works with Advanced Lighting on.

Make a prim, set a transparancy on it... now go to the texture tab, go to the Specular tab...
    Instead of setting low-mid-high as we all know that wont work, click left on the texture picker and choose "blank"

Now change the values. Glossiness is how glossy it is, high gloss is 255
    Enviroment is a pre-shiny, that does not rely on light falling upon the object... see this as the new Low-Mid-High except you now can bump it up in 255 steps! woot

Example attached including edit window

• ooh! ... gonna try that out on a bush to see if I can get "waxy translucence" to boost the realism a bit!
    Wench is an acronym: W-oman - E-ntitled to - N-othing but - C-omplete - H-appiness - Don't say it like it's a bad thing!