Welcome to the IW Citizens Community Forums. These forums solution is not hosted, funded, or managed by InWorldz staff, but by InWorldz community members. We are all responsible to keep this place tidy and welcoming for all. Have fun!

Excellent summary on scripting communications

Judy DresslerJudy Dressler Posts: 217
edited March 6 in Scripting Help
I found this very nice and concise PDF made by Professor Stefano Cacciaguerra in Bologna, while myself in a scripting project with intense object to object communications. It covers it all and can serve as a great reminder of what is available to LSL scripters.

See attached PDF and right click "Save Link As" it!

What is my project? Shhhhh it's "checret" at moment :-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde.

Comments

• As you say, concise and clear. Thank you for the link!

llRegionSayTo( key target, integer channel, string msg ) is one more function that should be added to the list of available direct communication channels.

The good professor appears to have slightly misunderstood the use of the id field in the listen event though. It can indeed be used to set up and remove specific listeners as shown, but its primary use is to identify the source of a received message. Using llGetOwnerKey(id) on the incoming message can identify if the message comes from an owner's attachment for instance.

llListenControl(integer handle, integer active ) is a further way of managing the inputs to the listen event and is a neat way of handling multiple listens where you may be expecting input from a range of devices to one central device such as a HUD.
    ~ Christine ~